Thursday, July 1, 2010

Peaks in the Valley

I decided to start a blog because 1) I like to write, and 2) I have way to much to say to confine it to emails or facebook posts. This way I can say what I need to and only those who care to read it can and it will not impose on those who don’t or who don’t have time.

The name Peaks in the Valley came to me in thinking about my love of the mountains, particularly the Rockies. My first view of them was from a jet on my way to L.A. Breathtaking, though they were, I hoped one day I could stand on the ground and look up at them, knowing it would be the only way to really appreciate their beauty and massiveness. One day I did. I stood in front of the Maroon Bells near Aspen, Colorado and was in awe. Having heard that their nickname was the “Deadly Bells” because of people who’d died trying to climb them, I thought to myself .. These mountains were not meant to be challenged, but reverenced. Just like God. He is not to be challenged or conquered, as if He could be, but to be worshipped and reverenced. We should be humble before Him. And so I realized the scripture was true which says that God can be seen in the things He has made. These magnificent peaks were a reflection of the God Who created them.

The Maroon Bells became my favorite spot in the whole world because of my spiritual experience, both in what led me there (a story for another day) and what I realized about God as I stood in front of them. Ever since then, Maroonbell has been my online identity, because it has more to do with who I really am than my actual given name.

When you are in a valley in life, it is good to look up to the surrounding peaks, to remember higher places and better times. The hope in finding our way back to those heights is what gives us strength to trudge on and not give up. This blog is meant to give a glimpse of the peaks to help lift you from the valley.

I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?

My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
(Ps. 121:1-2, NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment